Most upvoted comment
Top rated Music books on Reddit rank no. 58
What are some good books on the history of Metal?(r/Metal)
There’s a few books on the subject:
- Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal (black metal chapter)
- Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult
- Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
- Black Metal: Beyond the Darkness
- Hideous Gnosis: Black Metal Theory Symposium
And there’s a documentary called Until the Light Takes Us.
I can only really speak for Louder Than Hell, Lords of Chaos, and Until the Light Takes Us, but those three are a pretty good resource. I wrote a short paper on something similar a few years ago and used those as my sources. I have Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult, but I haven’t had time to read it.