Most upvoted comment
Top rated Music books on Reddit rank no. 28
What does one “actually” practice(r/guitarlessons)
There are so many different aspects to playing that you could spend time practicing.
Here are just some ideas off the top of my head:
- pick a genre and study it
- build a repertoire of licks
- practice using said licks along with backing tracks
- study theory (recommend the book Music Theory for Guitarists)
- ear training
- different techniques (sweep picking, hybrid picking, fingerstyle, etc)
- practice improvising to backing tracks with scales
- study songwriting
Hate to plug my own site, but that is EXACTLY the problem I created the GuitarWOD (Workout of the Day) to solve.
Good luck! Let me know if you need any more detail about how to go about practicing any of these or any other ideas you come up with.