Most upvoted comment
[IWTL] How do I become more of a critical thinker?(r/IWantToLearn)
Check out harry potter and the methods of rationality.
- A Brilliant fan-fiction about Harry potter, much darker and smarter. Both informative and entertaining.
Read/Learn Non Violent Communication
- Language shape our thinking, this method is absolutely brilliant and will immediately improve understanding for oneself and other people. The book & [Youtube videos] (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpk5Z7GIFs&list=PL16…)
Start to [Meditate] (humanistsofmn.org/127-better-critical-thinking-thr…)
- Emotions and unconscious thoughts and belifs are many times very irrational. Meditation is greater for becoming more aware of them, which is the first step before critically evaluating them. Also many studies show a myriad of benefits such as: Increased happiness, better health, lower stress, increased IQ & EQ. And much more
Philosophy – “love of wisdom”
[Philosophy for Life and Other Dangerous Situations: Ancient Philosophy for Modern Problems] (www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Life-Other-Dangerous-Sit…) , Is a great introduction to Philosophy. Very practical, will increase understanding of oneself and help in living a happy life.
Or if you prefer video [Philosophy: Guide to Happiness] (topdocumentaryfilms.com/philosophy-guide-to-happin…) , Is a great introduction to Philosophy. If you want it bite sized [School for life] (www.youtube.com/user/schooloflifechannel):s youtube channel is also very good.
Read about rationality/critical thinking
- [Less wrong] (wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Sequences), [Audio] (www.kickstarter.com/projects/1267969302/lesswrong-…). Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Video
Learn about the common [cognitive biases] (www.businessinsider.com/cognitive-biases-2014-6?op…) and [logical fallacies] (yourlogicalfallacyis.com/)
- [Thinking fast and slow] (www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slow-Daniel-Kahneman/…) Is a brilliant book by Nobel prize winner Daniel Kahneman which shows oh so many ways we are less smart than we think. podcast
Create some rationality habits
Center for applied rationality have workshops (mostly in the USA).
Learn about the ways Marketing/propaganda is used to influence you
- [The century of the self] (topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-century-of-the-self/). This series is about how those in power have used Freud’s theories to try and control the dangerous crowd in an age of mass democracy.
- General Grammar, Aristotelian Logic, and Classical Rhetoric comprise the first three rules-based subjects of the 7 Liberal Arts and Sciences. As these disciplines are learned and practiced together, they form the overarching, symbiotic system for establishing clarity and consistency of personal thought called the Trivium.