Most upvoted comment
Good books on how to build a website and make money from it?(r/startups)
The books get outdated too fast.
This should help you though.
Validate Your Skill Level
Are you currently a web programmer? If no, please do not attempt to become one to code your own dynamic website as security is a huge issue and it will take you years to catch up. It is not a reasonable effort to put forth if you want to keep your sanity, not burn your spare time, etc. Not saying you can’t learn it, just saying it takes a lot of work and time that most entrepreneurs don’t have to use and in some cases waste.
You can learn how to do html and css within a few months but using a CMS system is much cleaner and easier and if you need something dynamic, you will probably need a developer.
You generally need to know at least php and mysql for dynamic websites unless you want to get into the confusing worlds of joomla and drupal. I hear decent things about Ruby on Rails though on par with php and mysql learning curve I think.
Want to Learn Web Programming Anyway?
Try CodeCademy for interactive programming learning.
No Coding Skills Start Here
Get / Use the following:
- Hosting: Bluehost.com
- Domain name: Buy through Bluehost and get a privacy option on it
- Web Platform to one click install: WordPress a CMS platform
- Find an appropriate responsive wordpress theme here: Themeforest.net
- Install and configure these free plugins in order: Better WP Security, BackWPup, Akismet, Yoast, Broken Link Checker, FirmaSite Theme Enhancer, Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin, Date/Time Now Button, and Advanced Responsive Video Embedder
- Buy other plugins you need here: CodeCanyon.net
- Need an affiliate manager?: Use Linksert.net and it’s free WordPress plugin.
Need Something More Dynamic?
You have a few options. This list goes from least expensive to most expensive. Just know that most things you want to do already have a plugin or theme designed for them for WordPress. There are however a lot of exceptions to that guideline and that is why you look at the following options.
- Least Expensive end
- Hire someone to develop a WordPress plugin to do that dynamic stuff (cheaper than second option)
- Hire someone to build you a custom WordPress theme that has the functionality you need.
- Hire someone to develop the site from the ground up.
- Most expensive end
The reason why WordPress is mentioned a lot is because it is a CMS aka Content Management System which allows you to manage a ton of the pages and posts and various other aspects of the website. If a developer really needs to, they can modify the core parts of WordPress. Rarely will you need someone to build you a brand new website and honestly you really do want a CMS or you are going to have a hard time.
Things to remember with website development
- Try to use a responsive website themes and plugins so that it can fit any screen size including tablets and phones.
- Get familiar with what they call “sticky footer” so that your footers don’t end up halfway up the screen on low content pages. Example and info.
- Get familiar with the concept of having a fixed header as it will promote a lot of use of your website. Example and info.
- Design is important. You have ~2.6 seconds to capture their attention before they bounce. Read this book to learn about it: “Don’t Make Me Think“
- Best colors to use for design and other design tricks (the best you are going to find): Article and Video
I am actually writing a series on this because this guide is way too small. You can sign up to be notified on this quick google form I threw up.