Most upvoted comment
Top Books on Reddit in 2018 rank no. 133
Does the claim that the God of Christianity was originally part of the Canaanite pantheon have sufficient proof?(r/DebateReligion)
OP, and anyone else interested, I have complied some references concerning the pre-monotheistic worship of the God YHWH.
A copy and paste ….
Would you like to know more on the essential polytheistic origin of the God Yahweh with evolution into a monotheism? And how this monotheistic claim grew out of it’s essential polytheism (a process of convergence, differentiation and displacement (synthesis and syncretism) of the many Gods into a claim of only [and always] one God)?
- The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel by Mark Smith
- The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel’s Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts by Mark S. Smith
- A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam by Karen Armstrong
- The Religion of Ancient Israel (Library of Ancient Israel) by Patrick D. Miller
- Religions of Ancient Israel: A Synthesis of Parallactic Approaches by Ziony Zevit
- Yahweh and the Gods and Goddesses of Canaan (Library Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies) by John Day
- God in Translation: Deities in Cross-Cultural Discourse in the Biblical World by Mark S. Smith
While limited to starting with the Hebrew Bible as a basis, and not addressing much pre-Torah scripture related to Yahweh,…